Thursday, January 31, 2013

Decomposing Fractions

My class is still working on fractions this week.  Fractions are very much a part of the new 4th grade common core performance standards.  This week my students are busy decomposing fractions.  We began with simple fractions, but, have now moved on to decomposing mixed numbers.  This concept is not a difficult one for 4th graders, however, it is one that takes a bit of work.  We have come so far learning about fractions but, are only about half-way through the fraction standards.  The pictures below show some of the strategies my students have been using to decompose fractions. 





3 comments:

  1. We are starting this skill next week, love this idea!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you can use this in your classroom. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you Mrs chapin if so I'm it student Johnathan.

    ReplyDelete